As many guilds (or even random groups) keep running Karazhan mostly for Badge of Justice’s sake, I will write a small guide for Nightbane, one of the 2 dragons in Karazhan.
Abilites - Ground
- Bellowing Roar: Typical dragon fear; it has a 30-second cooldown. He casts this from time to time.
- Cleave: Typical dragon cleave, frontal arc. Hits for approximately 6,000 on plate; 11,000 on cloth.
- Target Charred Earth: Creates Charred Earth, similar to a fire-based Void Zone.
- Distracting Ash: Reduces the chance to hit with spells and abilities by 30%. Can be dispelled.
- Smoldering Breath: 3700 to 4300 direct damage, plus 1688 to 1912 damage every 3 seconds.
- Tail Sweep: 450 direct damage, plus 2250 damage over time.
Abilites - Air
- Casts Rain of Bones on one random player/pet:
- Bombards the area the targeted person was standing at the initial cast with bone fragments, which deal 352-408 physical damage in a 6-yard radius.
- Summons five Restless Skeletons. Each has the following attributes:
- Hits for approximately 1,300 on cloth, 450 on plate
- Has roughly 13,500 health
- Shoots powerful Smoking Blast every second for approximately 15 seconds. Deals 1,850 to 2,150 physical damage (can be mitigated by armor, approximately 750 on plate) to the target and 3,000 fire damage over 18 seconds. The fire damage-over-time debuff can be dispelled. Targeting for this ability is determined by the individual with the highest threat on Nightbane after he goes into the air. The target is usually a healer because damage-dealers typically hit the skeletons during this phase.
- Fireball Barrage: If any member of the raid is too far away from Nightbane while he is in flight, he pelts the raid with fireballs, each doing about 3,000-3,500 damage, casting 1 per second until all members are within range. This ability exists to prevent exploiting and is not something you will notice if you do things correctly.
You’ll need a Main Tank, an Off tank, 3 healers and 5 dps classes for this fight. Ranged dps & healers stay in max range from Nightbane in 2 groups as the image shows. Nightbane casts occasionally Charred Earth, that’s why the healers and the ranged dps split into 2 groups. When Charred Earth is on Group 1, Group 1 moves to Group 2 position, until Charred Earth fades. Sometimes both groups will suffer from Charred Earth, so you have to move some steps forward. Melee dps should stay at the hind legs opposite to Main Tank. Fear Ward, Stance Dancing and Tremor totem are quite useful for tanking Nightbane. He casts a fear every 45-60 seconds and it might be a reason to get wiped. Ranged DPS & Healers don’t have to worry about the fear as they are out of range.
When Nightbane reach 75%,50% and 25% of his life, he starts flying on the air. All the raid moves to the tank’s position. 5 skeletons are spawned, and the Off Tank has to take aggro of them. A protection paladin will do the job fairly easy. Avenging Wrath, Activate Spell Damage Trinket, Concecration, Holy Wrath. Move to your positions as soon as possible. Also usually a healer with the highest aggro will be affected by Smoking Blast, so be ready to spam heals on him.
A few seconds before Nightbane lands again, have a hunter misdirect Main Tank.
Repeat it 3 times and Nightbane is down. If you understand the positioning and Nightbane’s abilities you’ll have one more Boss in Karazhan on farm, 2 extra Badge of Justice each week, and some great epic items.
Robe of the Elder Scribes
Nightstaff of the Everliving
Chestguard of the Conniver
Scaled Breastplate of Carnage
Talisman of Nightbane
Shield of Impenetrable Darkness
Ironstriders of Urgency
Badge of Justice x2
Tags: Badge of Justice, how to nightbane, karazhan dragons, nightbane guide, protection paladin, tanking shield
Filed under: Karazhan on April 13th, 2008