After your guild farms Karazhan with 2 groups you should start considering to try to beat Gruul. You’ll need 5 healers and 2 tanks for this fight. It’s a dps fight so you need as many as possible dps members. Bellow you’ll find the abilities of Gruul:
- Basic Melee: 3–3.5k at the start of the fight, on tanks.
- Growth: Self-buff, increases damage done by 15% every 30 seconds, size increased by 10%, can stack up to 30 times. Undispellable.
- Hurtful Strike: Occasionally hits the 2nd highest aggro in melee range. A second tank is needed to mitigate this, 12350–13650 physical damage. If no secondary target is within melee, this hits the first target available within melee range. This damage increases after each growth.
- Reverberation: Occasional zone-wide silence for 4 seconds. Not dispellable. Can be reduced by anti-silence abilities.
- Cave In: Random AoE which causes ~3000 damage every 3 seconds in the area. This occurs more frequently in later stages. This counts as melee damage and can be mitigated by armor. Growth also affects Cave In.
- Ground Slam: Zone-wide knockback into a random direction, then triggers the Gronn Lord’s Grasp.
- Gronn Lord’s Grasp: Stacking debuff after a Ground slam that reduced movement speed by 20%. stacks 5 times after 5 secs then causes Stoned. This is not dispellable.
- Stoned: Stunned. Occurs after 5 stacks of Gronn Lord’s Grasp.
- Shatter: After being Stoned, Gruul will shatter everyone, the damage dealt increasing if players are closer to each other. This damage is physical, and goes through immunity shields such as Divine Shield and Ice Block. Ranges from 1100 if just within 15 yards to over 8.5k if very close. (Pets do not cause damage or get damage with this ability, they get stunned anyway)
info from wowwiki
Notes before the fight
You must have downloaded the KLH theat meter and the Deadly Boss Mode addons. The melee dps should look at their KTM, not to overcome tank’s and offtank’s aggro. Also Deadly boss mode, is a must in this fight, cause of shatter ability. There is a small window where indicates if other members are close to you.
Your main tank, tanks Gruul at the middle of his cave, the rest raid should spread around him and hit him at maximum range. The offtank must be 2nd on the aggro list in case your MT dies. Every 30 seconds, Gruul grows and his dmg is increased by 15%, so after 15-16th growth, your main tank is probably to die with one hit. After 8th growth all healers should focus on the tanks. The raid must use healthstones, pots and bandages to heal. Idealy Gruul dies in 10th growth. You must use your trinkets at their cooldown, so it can be use 4-5 times during the fight.
Some hints & tips for each spec.
Shaman: Use heroism after the 1st shater, as all raid members should be alive.
Hunter: BM is the best spec for this fight, your pet isn’t affected by shatter, and with improved mend pet, your pet wont die during the whole fight.
Rogue: Rogues should use cloack of shadows to avoid shatter.
Paladin: If you use Divine shield, during a shatter, you wont get damage, but the members close to you they will. Maybe a Blessing of Salvation on Rogues is wise move.
Druid: Druid is the best choice to offtank Gruul.
Filed under: Gruul's Lair on November 6th, 2007